Website Victoria Airport Authority
Victoria Airport Authority (VAA) manages and operates Victoria International Airport (YYJ), the 11th busiest airport in Canada with almost 2.0 million passengers per year (2019 stats). YYJ was rated among one of the top ten most loved airports by CNN Travel and was twice named best regional airport in North America by Airports Council International. More than a transportation centre, YYJ is also a source of pride for residents in the region and an economic catalyst and business generator for Southern Vancouver Island. With the mildest climate in Canada, gardens in Victoria bloom all year. The city is tied closely to both land and sea and the rugged natural beauty of the Pacific coast encourages all-season adventures in the great outdoors. Easily explorable by foot, Victoria can be as relaxing and rejuvenating as it is educational and exciting.
The Director, Security and Terminal Operations leads, directs and oversees the day-to-day performance of all aspects of the Victoria Airport Authority’s (VAA) security and terminal building operations ensuring compliance with standards and regulatory requirements. The Director interprets the VAA’s strategic priorities, conducts operational planning and defines the policies, procedures and performance standards that guide all aspects of security and terminal operations. The Director is relied upon as a key member of the management team to ensure the continuous operation of these critical systems and services which are integral to airport operations. The Director manages relationships with a wide network of stakeholders and leads a multidisciplinary team of employees.
- Degree in aviation management, business administration, operations management or equivalent discipline, and seven years of recent, related experience*; OR
- A minimum of ten years of recent (within the past twelve years) related experience* in a similar role.
*Recent, related experience must include:
- Experience leading and managing airport terminal and security operations, including at least five years’ supervisory experience, ideally in a unionized environment.
- Experience conducting business/operational and risk mitigation planning.
- Experience managing multiple projects, programs and systems.
- Experience managing capital and operational budgets and overseeing contracted services.
- Must be eligible to work in Canada.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain Enhanced Airport Security Clearance as a condition of employment.
- Must be willing to work outside normal work schedule to meet operational requirements.
- Industry standards, best practices and security, safety, risk management and regulatory requirements related to all aspects of airport security and terminal operations and related infrastructure, systems, operations and performance standards.
- Expert knowledge of Canadian Aviation Security legislation, regulations and standards.
- Issues, trends and challenges related to the management of airport security and terminal operations.
- Operations management, business/operational planning and risk management.
- Financial management, procurement and contract management.
- Human resource management
- Supervision in a unionized environment.
- Business English.
Skills and abilities:
- Oral and written English communication skills, presentation skills and attention to detail when communicating. Able to communicate complex technical concepts in a manner that can be understood by the audience.
- Leadership skills and the ability to provide inspirational leadership.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and consistently produce results within timelines.
- Analytical, problem solving and judgement skills.
- Conflict management, negotiation and issues management skills.
- Project management skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with employees and a wide network of internal/external contacts.
- Supervisory skills and the ability to manage performance, provide coaching, motivation and corrective action when necessary.
- Ability to use a variety of information technologies and standard office and operation-specific software applications.
A competitive salary and a generous benefits package awaits the successful candidate.
Prior to applying, please visit www.victoriaairport.com/careers for a complete job description. This position is excluded from the bargaining unit.
You are invited to submit a resume and covering letter outlining how you meet the stated requirements, no later than 12:00 pm, Friday, August 13, 2021, by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We sincerely appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com