Website Sanford Airport Authority
Simpler. Faster. Better.
JOB TITLE: Senior Engineer
REPORTS TO: COO
The Sanford Airport Authority (SAA) Senior Engineer is a new position. Under supervision and direction, this individual will support the processes related to the design, construction, and management of the SAA’s Capital Improvement Program, and provide technical input and oversight of the recurring projects and activities relative to sustaining a safe and functionally efficient Orlando Sanford International Airport. This is professional work in an exciting and growing airport environment that requires confident knowledge of engineering principles and practices, applicable laws, environmental regulations, and building codes. This position requires experience with design, construction, inspection, management of construction projects including airport airfield paving. This new team member shall have the ability to represent the Airport’s best interests optimally in dynamic relationships with airport users, tenants, contractors, consultants, and numerous other stakeholders. The duties and responsibilities involve a wide array of circumstances that require prudent evaluation and precise solution development within the complex Airport regulatory environment. The work is performed in an office environment and field setting work in unfavorable climatic conditions and other hazards inherent with a 2400-acre airport busy with aeronautical activity.
This first Airport Engineering staff position will involve an exciting array of ongoing long- and short-term project planning and development, beginning with concept through construction for the growing Orlando Sanford International Airport. A key component of this position’s focus is supporting the Airport’s major maintenance of its tenant leased facilities to ensure delivery of lessor (Airport) obligations to this major revenue source.
This job also includes working with the team to proactively manage planning and upkeep of the Airport’s land, facilities, structures, and support systems, items that may include but not be limited to airside runways, taxiways, navigations aides, associated airfield infrastructures, airport communication systems, airport security networks, storm-water systems, roadways, and more. This position’s technical acumen will also be required in evaluation of project concepts, specifications, designs, plans, estimates, studies, assessments, and various reports that originated from contracted Airport professional services providers. This position will be expected to “think out of the box” generating new ideas and best practices while remaining in line with budgetary parameters. In addition to interaction with consultants, contractors, the SAA Senior Engineer will assist the executive team with regulatory agencies such as the Federal Department of Transportation (FDOT), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Transportation and Security Administration (TSA), Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP), Seminole County and City of Sanford relevant departments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
– Coordinate with the FAA, FDOT, consultants, contractors, other departments, and individuals in the planning and implementation of projects.
– Review schematic and development plans and specifications for various projects.
– Review final plans, specifications, and bid documents.
– Review or originate preliminary cost estimates and schedules.
– Work with staff and monitor a range of professional services, including construction administration, construction management services, planning, and analysis.
– Serve as one of the key Airport Representatives involved in professional contract service meetings including but not limited to pre-bid and pre-construction conferences, concept planning and study sessions, reoccurring construction meetings, etc.
– Develop capital and operating budgets for the engineering department in accordance with strategic priorities.
– Work closely with Airport team members interacting with department managers, executive staff, board members, community groups, regulators, consultants, contractors, tenants, and other airport engineering-related subjects as appropriate.
– Assist in the negotiation of contracts with A/E, planning firms, and contractors.
– Instrumental in the review and approval chain of invoice vouchers and construction progress payments to contractors and professional services.
– Demonstrate creativity, foresight, and sound engineering judgment in solving unpredictable engineering problems.
– Keep current on standards, industry innovations, and regulations relevant to Airport construction and maintenance.
– Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends with little or no advanced notice, including – emergencies that require immediate response and potential long extended hours.
– Responsible for overseeing Airport Pavement Management Program including assuring Pavement Condition Indexes and scheduling of repairs is in accordance with FAA and FDOT standards.
– Assist with the file management and document control of past, current, and future capital projects and planning documents.
– Interacts with and serves as liaison to tenants, airport agencies, government agencies with respect to engineering design, permitting, construction activities, inspections, compliance, and project-related matters.
– Other duties as assigned.
This is the Sanford Airport Authority’s first in-house engineering staff position. It is anticipated that as the airport grows so will the need for hiring more engineering staff. It is likely that this position could evolve adding supervision responsibilities over subordinates within this department.
Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or related field and at least five (5) years of Airport project construction, administration, or management experience.
American Association of Airport Executives C.M. or A.A.E. accreditation desirable.
LICENSING AND CERTIFICATIONS
– Professional Engineer (P.E.) license
– Program Management Professional (PGMP), Project Management Professional (PMP), or equivalent is preferred but not required.
– Ability to Maintain Airport Security Identification Display Area (SIDA) clearance.
Possession of or ability to obtain a Florida State Driver’s License and airfield driving certification.
– Project management principles and life cycle phases; from concept project to close out.
– Project Management practices and standards.
– Sound judgment, decision making, problem-solving, sense of urgency, productivity, effective time management, and the concurrent management of multiple projects and tasks with efficiency and effectiveness.
– Uniform Building Codes, OSHA building construction regulations, and other pertinent safety rules and regulations.
– FAA regulations and Advisory Circulars pertaining to airport design and Part 139 Certification.
– Airport planning, design, and construction.
– Civil engineering scientific theories and principles.
– Fiscal management, budgeting, construction cost estimating, cash flow projections, and funds administration.
– Understanding, interpreting, and enforcing compliance with plans, specifications, schedules, and contract provisions.
– Applying diverse knowledge of engineering to all phases of engineering projects.
– Clearly and effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
– Demonstrated skill with large-scale complex projects.
– Demonstrated skill in analyzing survey reports, maps, drawings, etc.
– Demonstrated skill and/or knowledge in designing structures, utilities, and facilities using design. systems in – compliance with construction and government standards.
– Use of a variety of computer-based technologies including word processing, CAD, and spreadsheets.
– Demonstrated skill in interacting, monitoring, and supervising contracted and company employees.
Salary Range ($120,000 to $153,587.20) DOQ
Highly competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, and retirement plans.
– SAA employees participate in the Florida Retirement System. Visit myfrs.com for more info.
– SAA covers health and welfare insurance premiums for all employees. $0 premium for employee-only coverage.
– Offer 457 plan and Roth IRA.
– Observe most Federal Holidays in addition to sick and vacation time based on accrual.
– Eligible for an annual performance incentive.
To apply for this job please visit jobapply.page.link.