Together we’ll GO far.
We’re dedicated to shaping the future of world travel and delivering the best possible experiences for our passengers. We operate the most efficient single runway airport in the United States 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Running such an intricate machine takes skill, dedication and a go-getter attitude. We rely on a motivated, skilled and collaborative workforce fulfilling a wide variety of roles that come together like a symphony.
At San Diego International Airport (SAN), we want to set the gold standard for airport service, and to be known for our pledge to bring good feelings to everyone, nonstop through our warm welcome, ease of use, on-time performance and exemplary partnerships with the local community. To realize this ambition, we have set ourselves seven core values:
· Our customers come first
· Pursue excellence in all business processes
· Conduct business with honesty and integrity
· Provide a safe, secure, quality-oriented, highly efficient environment
· Foster an informed, productive, diverse, enthusiastic workforce
· Cultivate personal growth with constant learning
· Embrace a team environment where everyone counts and we count on everyone
Our vision at SAN is to build an enduring and resilient customer-focused enterprise with a clear and unequivocal focus on the “triple bottom line.” As we seek to take advantage of the best opportunities for significant revenue growth in our non-aeronautical business lines, the San Diego Regional County Airport Authority (Airport Authority) is seeking an experienced leader to guide the development and execution of key revenue management and customer experience initiatives. As an executive leader, the successful candidate will be responsible for giving the proper strategic direction and effectively sustaining high levels of staff engagement. This represents a tremendous career opportunity for a strong executive leader with airport or other relevant revenue management and innovation experience to join the team of a dynamic and growing enterprise.
The San Diego County Regional Airport Authority is an independent agency that was created to manage the day-to-day operations of San Diego International Airport and address the region’s long-term air transportation needs. The Airport Authority is governed by an appointed board of nine voting members representing all areas of San Diego County and three non-voting ex-officio members. Three members serve as the Executive Committee with the Chair appointed by the Mayor of the City of San Diego.
The Airport Authority has a strong and diverse leadership team with the recent appointment of Kimberly Becker, formerly the Executive Director of San Jose International Airport, as President & CEO (see Addendum 1 for CEO biography and Addendum 2 for an Airport Authority organizational chart).
Passenger Air Service
San Diego International Airport currently serves more than 60 non-stop markets in the U.S. and abroad through a diverse mix of passenger air carriers, including:
· Air Canada
· Allegiant Air
· American Airlines
· British Airways
· Hawaiian Airlines
· Japan Airlines
· JetBlue Airways
· Sun Country Airlines
· Virgin America
San Diego International Airport is also served by several cargo and express carriers including DHL, UPS and FedEx.
San Diego International Airport Facts
- Founded in 1928, San Diego International Airport is the busiest single-runway commercial service airport in the nation, serving over 22 million passengers per year.
- The airport features 51 gates in Terminals 1 and 2.
- The airport is conveniently located three miles northwest of downtown San Diego and sits on 661 acres, a remarkably small area as compared with most commercial airports.
- In 2006, by voter referendum, it was determined that San Diego International Airport would remain in its current location with a single runway for the foreseeable future.
- The airport and affiliated enterprises contribute about $12 billion annually to the regional economy.
- Approximately 8,000 employees work for the airlines, support service providers, federal agencies, fixed base operator, cargo operators, concessions, and San Diego County Regional Airport Authority at the airport.
- In 1976, San Diego International Airport became the first commercial airport in the nation to enact restrictions on late night and early morning takeoffs. While arrivals are permitted 24-hours a day, departures are prohibited between 11:30 p.m. and 6:30 a.m.
The Vice President, Revenue Management & Innovation is responsible for leading Authority departments focused on air service and business development, marketing and public art, innovation and revenue management to integrate efforts with the Airport’s Strategic Plan. You will need to identify, evaluate, develop, negotiate, and implement new revenue enhancement strategies and initiatives that enhance the customer experience. In addition, you will ensure the Airport Authority engages in a proactive and productive manner with relevant business interests and stakeholders, both on-and off-airport.
The Vice President of Revenue Management & Innovation must exhibit a continuous focus on an enhanced customer experience, an appreciation for the role of a public agency as a steward of community assets, and a relentless drive for results. An ideal candidate will have a business mindset and will be able to see the “big picture” in a variety of settings. He/she will take action to direct and oversee the development of short- and long-term goals and objectives consistent with the Authority’s Strategic Plan for San Diego International.
The successful candidate will also demonstrate an approach to leadership that engages and mobilizes a diverse team of employees in a collaborative, cross-disciplinary manner with the following specific responsibilities:
- Create a consistent, customer-centric brand experience by developing and executing marketing plans and promotions for both aeronautical and non-aeronautical business lines.
- Plans, integrates and evaluates the work of assigned departments to ensure that facilities and services comply with the policies and strategic direction set by the President/CEO, Board of Directors;
- Participates in formulation of the Authority’s strategic plan and other long-range operational, route service, facilities and resource plans consistent with the Authority’s vision and values;
- Provides leadership and works with assigned management team to develop and retain highly productive, customer-oriented staff through selection, compensation, training and day-to-day management practices which support the Authority’s mission, vision, values and operating objectives;
- Directs and oversees the revenue generation strategies required to achieve organizational vision and goals and to meet the growing needs of the San Diego region;
- Further develop arts and cultural programming through strategic community partnerships that expand awareness of the airport as a cultural gateway;
- Interprets President/CEO and Board of Director instructions and requests; makes interpretations of federal, state and local ordinances, policies, and applicable laws and regulations to ensure compliance within assigned areas of accountability;
- Within areas of accountability, serves as the Authority’s representative to professional, industry and community groups and customers and to other agencies, organizations and individuals; and
- Provide expert advice on concessions, parking, ground transportation and other commercial matters. Work with various municipal, regional, state and federal agencies including the FAA, local organizations, community groups and the public.
- Coordinate the development of the division’s annual budgets and manage the department leaders in the performance of their teams against budgeted goals; ensure all budgets remain at or below established targets.
- Manage issues that arise during both regular business hours and off hours, including weekends and holidays; resolve operational and management issues, consulting to solicit multiple perspectives and solve underlying problems.
Year One Critical Success Factors
- Develop a keen understanding of San Diego International Airport, its culture, stakeholders, and the community it represents.
- Lead the Revenue Management & Innovation division teams in optimizing performance and meeting or exceeding goals and objectives through coaching, mentoring, and challenging staff to achieve or exceed performance expectations and standards.
- Advance efforts to deliver good feelings, nonstop by collaboratively engaging airport partners and affirming common customer experience expectations that address the changing airport environment for each customer segment.
- Develop the SAN strategic commercial marketing plan, including strategic initiatives, goals, and objectives for SAN revenue streams such as air service development, tenant leasing, commercial development, parking, and concessions (including key performance indicators).
- Assure Air Service Development initiatives continue to attract and retain both international and domestic airlines and passengers.
- Enhance strategic partnerships and lead coordination and outreach efforts with terminal stakeholders such as the airlines, tenants, concessions, contractors, elected and appointed officials, business and political leaders, and other divisions within SAN.
- Foster an atmosphere of innovation and challenge the commercial team to think creatively, especially regarding unaddressed markets and new opportunities.
- Secure value-added partnerships, networks and relationships relevant to business development opportunities.
- Identify and bring to market at least one new innovation that improve the customer experience and enhances the revenue profile of the airport.
- Champion continuous improvement, including devising new strategies and creating/supporting new revenue opportunities for SAN.
- Ensure the successful implementation of the Airport Arts Master Plan and the continued success of the Airport Arts program.
- Oversight of the Small Business Development program to ensure compliance with the PLA agreement for the Airport Development Plan to provide opportunities to small local businesses.
Professional Experience / Qualifications
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in executive management with operational experience and revenue and expense responsibility in an asset-intensive business with multiple revenue streams.
- Experienced across the following contexts:
- Managing complex, confidential and/or politically sensitive projects and contracts including budgets, schedules and quality of work;
- Applying laws, regulations, policies, and standards to complex and specialized work processes.
- An undergraduate degree in a relevant domain.
- Demonstrable successful track-record of delivering a roll-out program of a standardized brand (e.g.: a retail program).
- Understanding of commercial and legal constructs associated with concessions, tendering opportunities and construction and supplier contracts.
- Management of internal and external teams.
- An excellent negotiator, with excellent interpersonal skills, having the ability to engage at different levels, with differing audiences.
Leadership / Personal Characteristics
- Integrity and honesty beyond reproach.
- Creative, with an ability to conceive and implement new and innovative ideas, taking calculated risks, and managing the downside through contingency planning.
- Adopts a servant leadership approach and gives credit to others, inside and outside the organization, where it is due.
- An effective arbiter and consensus builder, capable of appreciating competing interests, and bringing them together around a common and acceptable solution.
- Collaborative with good teamwork skills and an orientation toward partnering and building strong relationships with key stakeholders.
- Demonstrates emotional maturity, judgement and courage under pressure and acts decisively, but not unilaterally.
- Public service orientation.
- Active and ongoing learner.
A competitive compensation package will be provided to the successful candidate.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org