Rhode Island Airport Corporation
The Rhode Island Airport Corporation (“RIAC”) seeks to hire an experienced civil engineer to serve as the Vice President of Engineering and Architecture. The Vice President will serve as part of the team tasked with the planning for and execution of RIAC’s capital improvement plan in addition to various other projects at Rhode Island T.F. Green International Airport and Rhode Island’s five additional general aviation airports.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The Vice President is tasked with the performance of the following duties, in addition to other duties as assigned:
- Management of sections of RIAC’s capital improvement program through direct supervision of assigned staff managing capital projects. Ensures that assigned capital projects are properly programmed, and appropriately delivered through design, construction, and project closeout.
- Interact with operating department managers, executive staff, board members, community groups, regulators, consultants, contractors, tenants, and others on engineering matters, as appropriate.
- Coordinate with the FAA, consultants, contractors, other departments and individuals in the planning and implementation of airfield projects.
- Manage the preparation of Scope Definition and Scope Change Forms.
- Write procurement documents for design projects.
- Manage the selection process for Architects and Engineering (A/E) firms.
- Manage the review and evaluation of A/E’s fee proposals to include scope, budget, schedule, deliverables and administration of the project.
- Prepare independent estimates for consultant fees.
- Review schematic and development plans and specifications for various projects.
- Review final plans, specifications and bid documents.
- Review preliminary cost estimates and construction schedule.
- Manage the administration of construction projects to include pre-bid and pre-construction conferences, contract award recommendation, cost estimates, change orders and addenda.
- Negotiate contracts with A/E firms and contractors. Review and approve design invoice vouchers and construction progress payments.
- Demonstrate creativity, foresight and mature engineering judgment in anticipating and solving unpredictable engineering problems.
- Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little or no advanced notice.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: The Vice President supervises engineering and architectural project managers to support program delivery. The Environmental Division, including the Manager of Environmental and the Glycol Manager also report to the Vice President.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Senior level management responsibility.
- Excellent business acumen.
- Ability to plan and manage multiple projects with strict deadlines.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including, but not limited to verbal and written communication skills, active listening and negotiation skills, ability to understanding others’ perspectives.
- Confidence in directing and coordinating staff, contractors and consultants.
- Innovative and effective management techniques to encourage employee performance.
- Budgeting skills.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Proficient in MS Office suite, Email, Internet and multiple engineering programs (GPS, AutoCAD).
- Familiarity with Advisory Circulars, FAA and ICAO requirements, procedures and publications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Must have or obtain Rhode Island Professional Engineer (PE) license via reciprocity within one year from the date of hire.
- 5 years of progressive engineering management experience at a small, medium, or large hub airport is required.
- Extensive knowledge of the FAA coordination associated with the execution of airport capital program is required.
- Active participation in the aviation industry is preferred.
- Experience with architectural projects is preferred.
- A.A.E. accreditation is preferred.
This organization provides equal employment opportunity to all persons, regardless of age, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation/expression, political affiliations, marital status, and non-disqualifying physical or mental disability.
This organization welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation request will be on a case-by-case basis.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org