Website Port of Seattle
Senior Manager, Aviation Environmental Compliance Programs (001287)
Location: Seattle Tacoma International Airport
Organization: AV Environmental Programs Grp
Employee Status: Regular
Posting Expires: Sep 27, 2022, 11:59:00 PM
Minimum Salary: 126,630.00
Midpoint Salary: 158,288.00
Some of what you’ll be doing:
As the Senior Manager for Environmental Compliance Programs at SEA, you will supervise a team of environmental specialists responsible for ensuring compliance with federal, state and local environmental rules and regulations, and lead Compliance Program strategy and implementation.
- You will supervise a team of approximately 10 environmental professionals serving multiple disciplines.
- You will plan, schedule, assign, and direct the work of staff to ensure that programs are managed smoothly and in a coordinated effort considering changing priorities and project/program needs.
- You will identify and justify staffing needs, define individual tasks and functions, develop performance plans, complete performance evaluations, and provide pay for performance recommendations to the Department Director.
- You will also be accountable for staff development to ensure resources are available to meet evolving programmatic requirements and to provide a positive and challenging work environment.
- You will be responsible for defining both the long-term and short-term environmental strategies that allow the Airport to operate in compliance with local, state, and federal environmental laws and regulations and in support of the Port’s Environmental Center of Expertise sustainability goals and objectives.
- You will complete strategic analyses in support of development planning efforts such as the ongoing Sustainable Airport Master Plan (SAMP) as well as other project planning efforts.
- You will supervise the implementation of environmental compliance programs at SEA including those associated with industrial and construction stormwater; industrial wastewater; natural resources; above and underground storage tanks; spill control, prevention, and environmental response; hazardous materials and waste management; and contaminated site remediation.
- You will oversee all programs and provide technical input, review, and approval of work products. The Senior Manager provides clear delegation of responsibilities and effective supervision of direct reports.
- You will effectively and routinely communicate ongoing and anticipated compliance initiatives to senior management and Port Commission.
- You will work with Port legal and outside counsel to identify issues with potential legal situations associated with environmental compliance and provide input for legal consideration.
- You will participate in environmental spill response actions and represent the Aviation Environmental Department in the Airport’s Emergency Coordination Center as needed.
- You will define and secure department funding for infrastructure and facility upgrades, and new projects based on compliance trends, future Airport development needs and future permit obligations.
- You will lead environmental compliance negotiations with outside agencies for permits and compliance issues including those with the Department of Ecology, King County, US Army Corps of Engineers, Department of Fish and Wildlife and local municipal jurisdictions.
- You will manage Aviation Environmental compliance program budgets and supervise program budget development, cost tracking, forecasting, and reporting efforts as well as monitor costs to prevent cost overrun and adjust internal budget allocations as needed.
- You will represent the Port in a variety of inter-governmental affairs including those related to local development, watershed management, and utility management including, negotiation and oversight of inter-local agreements.
You will identify environmental objectives, define Port requirements, and provide final approval of the environmental elements of development projects.
Who you are:
Two years of experience may be substituted for one year of education:
- Experienced – You have ten (10) years of experience working in environmental/project management as it relates to water resources, stormwater management, wetlands, or contaminated soil site management.
- Educated – You possess a Bachelor’s degree in environmental sciences, environmental engineering, or a related field.
- Desired – We hope you have Masters degree in environmental sciences, environmental engineering, or a related field.
- For Development Purposes – Internal candidates who may not possess all the items listed in this section but can demonstrate expertise in the competencies for this position may also be considered at management’s discretion and Human Resources approval.
- Committed to Equity – You will apply equity and exemplify shared values, behaviors, and practices in all aspects of the work. At the Port of Seattle, equity is a daily responsibility and a foundational expectation for all Port employees.
- Project/Program Management – You are knowledgeable and skilled in project/program management concepts, and you have demonstrated experience applying those concepts to complex projects.
Compliance Management – You are knowledgeable in federal, state, and local environmental regulatory requirements and permitting processes.
- Strong Communicator – You are capable of effectively delivering information both formally and informally at all levels of the organization in both verbal and written formats.
- Relationship Builder – You are someone who can work with a diverse array of stakeholders at various levels of the organization to resolve problems while providing excellent guidance and customer service.
- Scientifically-Minded – You are knowledgeable about environmental policy and regulations, are highly organized and skilled in gathering, analyzing, and leveraging info and data to inform decision-making, and can creatively problem-solve and coordinate with others to develop solutions to encountered issues.
What else you need to know:
- Driver’s License – You will need a valid Washington State Driver’s License, or the ability to obtain one, is required in order to travel locally.
- Work Schedule – Your normal work schedule will be Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (40 hours per week). Slightly more flexible start and end times are available in this role. You may be required to work during emergencies.
- Work Environment – This work will take place in a hybrid remote/in-office setting at Management’s discretion.
- Washington State Residency Requirement – Employees must establish a residence in Washington state within 30 days of their first day of employment and must maintain a residence in Washington State during their employment with the Port of Seattle. If a position is eligible to telework, work performed while teleworking must be performed in Washington State.
- COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement – Effective, November 15, 2021, the Port of Seattle will require that at the time of hire, and as a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be able to provide proof of their full COVID-19 vaccination status, as part of the hiring process. This is a condition of employment for all positions at the Port of Seattle. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine. Prior to employment, candidates may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
- Security Requirements – As the successful candidate, you must pass a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) background check as well as a criminal history background check with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Your employment will be contingent upon obtaining a Port of Seattle ID badge upon clearance. You will also be required to obtain a U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Customs Seal within 30 days of hire.
To apply for this job please visit aa243.taleo.net.