Website Norfolk Airport Authority
Norfolk Airport Authority Career Center
This position performs design, construction and project management of Capital Improvement Program projects in both the landside and airside environment. The nature of the position requires the individual to be a dynamic, flexible leader with the ability to guide individuals, teams, and departments to achieve strategic goals. Strong financial management competencies and strategic planning skills are essential. Additionally, effective communication skills and people skills are crucial. The Project Manager must be exceptionally competent and knowledgeable about construction project oversite and management.
Norfolk International Airport has the vision that every team member has a stake in bringing our “Stronger Together, Let’s Fly” brand to life for every passenger and fellow employee. We have a demonstrated commitment to cultivating a positive, collaborative work environment that supports our values of professionalism, responsiveness, innovation, diversity, excellence (P.R.I.D.E.) as outlined in our Strategic Plan.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: The following duties are typical for this position. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
1. Responsible for the coordination of multiple Capital Improvement Projects including the assurance that all contractors operating on the airport abide by the airport’s rules and regulations as well as conform with all contractual requirements.
2. Coordinates with stakeholders in the administration of construction contracts and conducts periodic on-site observation of work in progress to ensure contract compliance; provides cost estimates, budgets, and project schedules; ensures appropriate documents are prepared and monitors project budget to achieve successful project completion and/or grant compliance.
3. As a project manager, consults with various departments to determine project scope and requirements, gathers and prepare information regarding design, specification, materials, equipment, estimated costs, and timeline to achieve project completion.
4. Oversees and directs construction projects from conception, design to completion. Scopes projects in-depth to determine deliverables and budgets. Prepares internal and external reports pertaining to job status.
5. Reviews and recommends for approval the work of design teams during development of new construction and modernization projects.
6. Administers consultant contracts for project design development work, as well as participating in the selection process.
7. Coordinates with Airport leadership to define objectives, budgets and timelines. 8. Manages teams of consultants and contractors.
9. Implements quality construction standards and practices to ensure quality and safety.
10. Performs all other duties as assigned and directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: The following generally describes the knowledge, skills and ability required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to successfully perform the assigned duties.
1. Ability to read and understand construction documents and contract specifications.
2. Familiarity with federal, state and local regulations.
3. Advanced knowledge of relevant computer software to include AutoCAD.
4. Critical Evaluation: Define issues, analyze problems, evaluate alternatives, and develop sound conclusions and recommendations.
5. Relationship Management: Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of Authority management and staff, officials of other governmental agencies, outside counsel, litigants, tenants, other Authority customers and stakeholders.
6. Prioritize assignments deadlines and able to collaborate, balance multiple priorities and complete assignments within expected time frame.
7. Strong organizational, attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
1. Bachelor’s degree in architecture, engineering or related field.
1. Five (5) years of progressively responsible employment in design and construction project management and budgeting.
2. Previous experience managing FAA projects at commercial service airports is preferred.
1. AIA, P.E., or related credentials are desirable.
1. Possess a valid driver’s license and must meet NAA driving record requirements.
2. Ability to obtain and maintain eligibility to hold a Security Identification Display Area (SIDA) badge as may be required by assigned job duties and responsibilities.
PHYSICAL & MENTAL DEMANDS: Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this class with reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis and depends, in part, on the specific requirements for the job, the limitations related to disability and the ability of the hiring department to accommodate the limitations.
Normal job duties require sitting for long periods of time, the ability to reach, bend, stoop, lift to 25 lbs. in an office environment, extensive walking, climbing up and down stairs (when necessary).
EQUIPMENT OPERATION: Motor vehicles, computer, standard office equipment, two-way radio
WORKING CONDITIONS/HAZARDS: None
SCHEDULE: 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Additional hours as required by mandatory meetings and/or special events.
DRIVING RECORD REQUIREMENTS: All drivers must be at least 21 years of age, licensed for at least 3 years, have the type of license required by their state for the vehicles operated and meet the following driving record standards. Any applicant who has been licensed in their state less than 3 years must provide a copy of their previous driving record to Human Resources. A Virginia Driver’s license must be obtained within 30 days of job start date.
• An “unacceptable” DMV driving record includes the following violations during the most recent 3-year period:
• Two or more at-fault accident convictions
• Drug Offense
• Eluding a Police Officer
• Committing a Felony with a Motor Vehicle
• Foreign citizens with no historical driving record available to us
• Hit Run / Leaving the Scene of an accident.
• Lending an Operator’s License or Registration to Another
• Three or more moving violations
Note: Texting or cell phone violations are considered moving violations because they increase the chance of being in an accident.
• Moving Violations & Accidents – more than 2 moving violations and/or at fault accidents within the past 12 months
• Open Container Violation
• Passing a Stopped School Bus
• Racing or Speed Contest Violation
• Reckless Driving
• Speeding 25 mph, or more, above speed limit
• Speeding – 10 mph or more over the speed limit in a school zone
• Current Suspended License
• Suspended License History – Drivers who have had 3 or more license suspensions as a result of moving violations.
• Temporary Operator’s Permit
• Vehicle Manslaughter/Homicide
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT: It is the policy of the Norfolk Airport Authority (NAA) to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, NAA will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
“No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!”
DISCLAIMER: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Contact the Human Resources Department at 757-857-3405 for assistance
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org