Website New Orleans Aviation Board
Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport is the gateway to one of the top travel destinations in the world – New Orleans. Conveniently located 15 minutes from downtown and the historic French Quarter, Armstrong International is poised for the future as the Airport of the Gulf South providing safe, first class customer service to travelers from around the world. The New Orleans Aviation Board (NOAB) oversees the operation of the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport, and the downtown Heliport as an unattached board of the City of New Orleans. The nine member board is appointed by the Mayor of New Orleans. Armstrong International serves over 13 million passengers annually with 15 airlines to 53 non-stop destinations. NOAB has over a $1 Billon Capital Improvement Program underway, including the construction of a new 35-gate terminal facility opening in fall 2019.
Oversees all Airport Planning initiatives and ensures compliance with FAA regulations, applicable Federal, State and Local rules and regulations. Reports directly to the Deputy Director of Planning, Development and Construction. This position requires sound independent judgment and discretion in determining optimal strategies for negotiating and resolving sensitive and controversial issues related to planning and the environment. The ability to analyze problems and project consequences, identify alternatives, implement effective solutions, and effectively interpret and communicate technical and procedural requirements is essential.
Examples of Duties:
· Direct, manage and coordinate the preparation of Master Plans, Airport Layout Plans, complex planning studies, programmatic studies, and presentations for the development and improvement of airport properties and facilities.
· Oversees the planning process, including terminal planning, airfield planning, infrastructure, roadway, ground transportation, parking, and multimodal transportation.
· Reviews and monitors airport development projects for compliance and conformity to development guidelines.
· Manages consultants, contractors, and personnel in preparing, maintaining, and development of planning documents as well as oversees in-house studies by MSY staff.
· Oversees the NEPA process for environmental compliance.
· Implements best management planning and sustainability practices.
· Participates in the development and allocation of the departmental budget.
· Develops positive working relationships with local, state and federal planning agencies.
· Reviews, updates and develops policies and procedures for planning process and practice.
· Facilitates Land Development, Economic Development, and new business development
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Urban/City Planning, Geography, or Economic Development or related areas of expertise. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Five (5) years of responsible, professional administrative experience in either Urban/City Planning, Geography, Economic Development, or related areas of expertise. Airport experience preferred. At least two (2) years of this experience must have been in a supervisor capacity.
- A valid driver’s license.* Applicants must be eligible for coverage under the airport’s auto liability insurance policy.
* Prior to appointment, the hiring agency is required to verify education and licenses claimed by the applicant to qualify for this classification. If selected for hire, applicants must provide original documents of their qualifying credentials to the hiring agency prior to their start date in this job classification.
NOTE: If hired, Aviation employees must maintain all required licenses, permits, certificates, and auto liability insurance eligibility during the duration of their employment. Failure to comply with any of the above listed provisions will result in termination.
NOTE: Pay above the minimum for superior qualifications may be granted under Civil Service Commission Rule IV Sec. 2.7 based on a review of the applicant pool, candidate’s verified experience, education, and/or possession of related certifications.
Kind of Examination:
A rating of training and experience, weighted 100%. All related previous experience will be considered for qualification purposes; however, credit on the rating of training and experience will only be given for experience gained within the last ten (10) years.
This is an original entrance examination.
Note: Candidates must pass a personal, criminal, and employment background check required under federal regulations.
This position requires a one year probationary period.
DOMICILE REQUIREMENTS FOR EMPLOYMENT: Domicile requirements are currently waived for the purpose of application. However, all new full time employees hired into this classification on or after January 1, 2013 must be domiciled in Orleans Parish within 180 days of hire. Airport and public safety employees are excluded from this provision.
BACKGROUND CHECK: This position is subject to a background check for any convictions related to its responsibilities and requirements. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history. Criminal history will not automatically disqualify a candidate.
Salary is a range of $63,960.00 – $105,126.00 annually ($81,999.35 is the midpoint), commensurate with experience.
Depending on the position, benefits of working for the City of New Orleans may include a Pension, Health Insurance (hospitalization, prescription coverage, vision, and dental) for you and your family, 10 paid holidays, longevity pay, merit pay, free life insurance, sick leave, and paid vacation.
The Civil Service posting for this position is listed as “Manager of Airport Planning” (Airport Services Manager)”. Applications must be submitted online at:
Applications will not be accepted if received after the closing date or after the stated maximum number of applications has been received, as specified on this announcement. All minimum qualification requirements for examinations must be met by the final filing date unless otherwise specified on this announcement. PAPER APPLICATIONS must be submitted on the official application form AND MUST BE RECEIVED IN THE DEPARTMENT OF CITY CIVIL SERVICE, 1340 POYDRAS STREET, SUITE 900, NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA, BEFORE THE CLOSE OF BUSINESS ON THE FINAL FILING DATE.
DELAY IN THE MAIL: The Department of City Civil Service cannot be responsible for failure of the applicant to receive an admission slip to an examination or for failure of the Department to receive material mailed by the applicant. Applicants should notify the Department of City Civil Service in writing of any address changes
The minimum age limit is 18 years for any class of work requiring hard physical labor, operation of or proximity to hazardous machinery, exposure to hazardous chemicals, or participation in any other processes or procedures which are prohibited or limited by the Louisiana State Child Labor Law.
Deadline: Until Withdrawn
Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Applicants are hereby notified that applications for public employment in Louisiana are “public records”, and are subject to disclosure under La. R.S. 44:1 et seq. and La. Const. Article 12. Section 3.
NOAB and TSA regulations for this position require a ten-year personal, criminal and employment background check.
THE CITY OF NEW ORLEANS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, GENDER, AGE, PHYSICAL OR MENTAL DISABILITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, CREED, CULTURE, OR ANCESTRY. REQUESTS FOR ALTERNATE FORMAT OR ACCOMMODATIONS SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO SHELLY STOLP AT (504) 658-3516 OR TTY/VOICE AT (504) 586-4475 or (504) 658-4020
SUBSTANCE ABUSE TESTING: The City of New Orleans has a comprehensive program of substance abuse testing. Candidates for employment for certain positions where the health, welfare and/or safety of the public, co-workers and the individual employee is at risk will have to undergo pre-employment substance abuse screening. Candidates for all other original entrance positions will have to undergo an unannounced substance abuse screening during their working test period. For further information, see Civil Service Rule V, Section 9.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.