Performs airport management functions with responsibility for the safe, efficient, and secure operation of the entire airport complex. Maintains constant awareness of changing conditions, activities, and requirements affecting Airport operations. Maximizes safety and security with minimal disruption to Airport operations. Reacts and responds to incidents, events, problems, and complaints in a professional manner and takes appropriate actions. Performs related functions.
- Maintains constant awareness of conditions, activities and changing requirements affecting Airport security. Ensures adherence to the Airport’s operations safety standards.
- Inspects the operational condition of the Airport complex during each tour of duty and ensures compliance with all related guidelines and requirements. Inspections include but are not limited to landside roads, terminal facilities, airfield runways, taxiways, safety areas, imaginary surfaces, NAVAIDS critical areas and lighting systems.
- Documents issues, discrepancies, and non-complying conditions concerning 14 FAR Part 139 and 49 FAR Part 1540 and 1542, and tenant activities to appropriate parties and reports for follow-up actions: monitors progress of corrections; determines severity of discrepancies and priority for corrective action.
- Closes all or portions of airfield during emergencies; authorizes the issuances of Notices to Airmen (NOTAMs).
- Initiates and directs the appropriate Contingency Plan(s), and makes decisions on behalf of the Airport Manager during emergencies and other events. Coordinates personnel efforts during emergencies.
- Serves as a liaison between the Transportation Security Authority (TSA), airlines, tenants and other stakeholders regarding Airport security.
- Directs and commits resources to ensure the containment of potential threats or incidents.
- Ensures compliance with “Wildlife Hazard Management” regulations.
- Directs or initiates action to prevent unsafe operating conditions on the entire Airport complex during inclement weather.
- Manages the Airport Operations 24-hour Command Center.
- Monitors the activities and operations of general facility and utility systems.
- Coordinates with the Public Affairs Department when responding to news media requests.
- Ensures coordination with the U.S. Secret Service, State Department, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), TSA, and other agencies pertinent to the security of high-ranking officials, foreign dignitaries, or other “high-risk” individuals that warrant special handling.
- Consults with representatives of air carriers, tenants, concessionaires, and Airports Authority personnel to provide assistance and guidance in resolving Airport operations situations.
- Reviews the Airport’s Security Plan and other Airport operational documents and drawings.
- Ensures Airport Daily Activities Report (DAR) is compiled correctly and submitted daily.
- Is assigned one or more collateral areas/duties on a continuing basis.
- Plans and coordinates movements of the Snow Teams during winter operations.
- May initiate and serve in the Incident Command System and the Emergency Operations Center during emergency conditions.
- May serve in the role of Airport Security Coordinator in that person’s absence.
- May substitute for the Supervisory Airport Operations Duty Manager in that person’s absence.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Six years of progressively responsible experience in airport or airline operations as a full performance level Operations Officer, or in a comparable job class in airport or airline operations at either a 14 CFR Part 139 certified airport OR six years of military air operations experience, OR a combination of the two provided that totals six years of operations experience.
- Experience leading, or helping to lead, at least one of the following: Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) airport certification; airport, airline, or military security program; recurring disaster/emergency exercises; or the monitoring and coordination of airport construction and maintenance operations.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply relevant Federal regulatory requirements governing airports.
- Knowledge of aircraft operations, to include navigational and unusual aircraft operating characteristics, and the ability to evaluate aircraft and air traffic and take timely and appropriate action.
- Ability to recommend and develop new airport operational policies or procedures, as necessary.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform airport management functions.
- Ability to analyze complex situations, prioritize issues, and formulate response plans.
- Ability to make detailed analyses of data and information and make recommendations.
- Ability to speak and write effectively, with emphasis on communicating sensitive or classified information in an emergency situation.
- Skill in using a computer and modern software, with emphasis on security access control systems and weather monitoring systems.
A Bachelor’s Degree in any field.
CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
A state driver’s license in good standing.
NECESSARY SPECIAL FACTORS:
- Work is typically reviewed in progress and upon completion for quantity, quality, timeliness, teamwork, customer service, and other factors.
- Operates vehicle airside and landside (requires AOA permit).
- May be subject to hold over and recall on a 24-hour basis for essential services and emergencies, including snow removal.
- May be subject to night/weekend work.
- May walk for extended distances, including ascending and descending stairs, to inspect various areas in the terminals or to respond to emergencies.
- May be subject to the possibility of bomb and various types of terrorist threats, irate passengers, large crowds, airport trespassers with ill intent, and potential exposure to hazardous materials and contagious diseases.
Salary: $92k – $133K
A background security investigation will be required for all new hires.
Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer.| Follow us on Twitter @MWAAcareers.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org