Website Maryland Aviation Administration
Executive Service Recruitment
The incumbent will serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority
The Maryland Department of Transportation Maryland Aviation Administration (MDOT MAA) is the owner & operator of both BWI Thurgood Marshall and Martin State Airports, serving over 27 million passengers annually.
MDOT MAA SOARS! Powered by PERFORMANCE, inspired by INNOVATION, fueled by FUN, we are chartering careers to unprecedented Successes, Opportunities, Advancements, Results, and Service. If you’re beginning your career journey or performing at your peak level, we invite you to consider our aviation family for your career.
MDOT MAA is currently accepting applications for the position of Deputy Director of Construction (Transportation Design Engineer VI) within the Office of Engineering and Construction at the Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI Marshall Airport). This position will report directly to the Director of the Office of Engineering and Construction and shall be responsible for managing over $150 million-dollar MDOT MAA annual construction program. The main purpose of this position is to oversee the multidisciplinary Construction Management and Inspection (CIM) program utilizing Program Management (PM) consultants, (CMI) consultants, and Construction Manager at Risk (CMAR) contractors.
Responsibilities included but not limited to:
- Oversight for the management of multiple construction projects, extensive coordination within MDOT MAA, airlines, airport tenants, federal and local agencies;
- Responsible for quality assurance, monitoring the enforcement of safety and quality measures on each project;
- Analyzing critical path method (CPM) schedules and deciding to approve or reject time extensions in accordance with the State of Maryland General and Standard Provisions;
- Reviewing and approve monthly payment applications and confirm compliance to contract provisions, approved Minority Business Enterprise goals, contract schedule, and progress;
- Managing Airside/Landside construction activities involving runways, taxiways, aircraft aprons, aircraft navigational aids, roadways, buildings and parking structures;
- Reviewing and comments on construction plans, specifications, and reports on various stages of design development;
- Initiating the execution of construction projects, provide direction to PMO and CMI staff to resolve construction issues to mitigate delays and claims;
- Oversight for all aspects of the construction to ensure the delivery of CMI services on time, of professional quality, and within the established schedule and budget;
- Responsible for ensuring the projects are advertised and awarded on time, completed on time and within budget, and comply with all program requirements and scope;
- Participating in the performance of value engineering (VE) studies and constructability reviews for specific projects at the various stages of design development;
- Establishing procedures and methods for processing of all construction documents using construction management programs in collaboration with CMIs, PMOs and contractors;
- Providing construction updates and presentations to the stakeholders;
- Assuring commissioning, system acceptance, warranty documents and Final Engineer’s Reports (FER) are performed and/or submitted prior to close-outs; and
- Assisting the Director by supervising the development and approval of CMI technical proposals, price proposals, and schedules. Approval of proposals includes development, review and negotiation of the following: description/scope of project; detailed program requirements; detailed CMI services to be provided.
Employees in this position are designated “Emergency Essential” in the event of airport emergencies, weather emergencies, or irregularities and are subject to extended shifts and being on-call during scheduled off-hours, holidays, and weekends.
This position is located at BWI Marshall Airport, in Anne Arundel County, MD
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Architectural, or Construction Management.
Experience: 15 years of construction management experience in an airport or large industrial facility of similar size and complexity. A Professional Engineer/Registered Architect (P.E. or R. A.) License, Certified Construction Manager (CCM), or Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification is required.
Possession of a Master’s degree in Engineering, Architectural, or Construction Management may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
Licenses & Certifications:
1. An applicant’s current license as a Professional Engineer in a state with comparable requirements acceptable to the Maryland State Board for Professional Engineers, in the appropriate option for which application is made, will be accepted but the applicant must obtain a Maryland Professional Engineer license within twelve (12) months of appointment. Evidence of out of state license must be presented at time of appointment.
2. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
1. Employees at the Maryland Aviation Administration may be required to obtain and maintain an Airfield Operator Permit in accordance with the Code of Maryland Regulations 11.03.01.04, Control of Vehicular Traffic on the Air Operations Area.
2. Employees at the Maryland Aviation Administration may be required to obtain and maintain an Airport security badge in accordance with 49 CFR Part 1542.209, Criminal History Records Check.
3. Registration requirements are established under Title 14, Business Occupations and Professions Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland.4. Employees of the Maryland Department of Transportation assigned to especially sensitive locations or facilities may be required to obtain and maintain a special security badge.
1. Employees may be subject to emergency recall 24 hours a day and may be required to maintain a reliable communication link (telephone or pager) for the purpose of emergency call back requirements.
2. Eligible applicants may be subject to a background investigation under federal or State laws and regulations. A conviction is not an automatic disqualification to employment. Erroneous, misleading or fraudulent information on an application is sufficient grounds for rejection from the hiring process, removal from the list of eligibles, withdrawal of an offer for employment or immediate discharge.
TO APPLY at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mdotmd to be considered for this recruitment. RESUMES CANNOT BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE MDOT EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION. It is essential that the application is filled out completely and accurately, listing all relevant experience in detail and addressing the specific requirements shown above. This includes, but is not limited to, full or part-time, volunteer, military, acting capacity, or any other experience that is relevant to this position. Your application must be received by 03/19/2021 Appropriate auxiliary aids and services for qualified individuals with disabilities will be provided upon request. Please notify in advance. MD Relay Service Number (711). Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply. The selected candidate may be subject to background and reference checks.
The Maryland Department of Transportation is not sponsoring new employees in application of the H-1B Visa at this time due to budgetary constraints. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States under the Immigration and Reform Control Act of 1986. Federal regulations prohibit H1B Visa candidates from paying sponsorship fees, all sponsorship fees must be assumed by the potential employer.
Applicants who have education obtained outside of the United States will be required to provide proof of the equivalent United States education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service, such as the National Association of Credential Evaluation Service (http://www.naces.org) or the Collegiate Registrars & World Education Services: International Credential Evaluation (https://www.wes.org/).
The incumbent in this position will not be a member of a covered bargaining unit.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, MDOT does not discriminate based on age, ancestry, color, creed, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religious affiliation, belief or opinion, sex, or sexual orientation.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org