Website Los Angeles World Airports
SENIOR AIRPORT PLANNER
Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA)
LAWA is a proprietary department of the City of Los Angeles with over 3,600 employees. The department operates, maintains, and develops Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), Van Nuys Airport (VNY) and Palmdale Landholdings (PMD). LAWA is governed by the Board of Airport Commissioners, a seven-member Commission appointed by the Mayor and approved by the Los Angeles City Council.
Currently, LAX is the fifth busiest airport in the world and second busiest in the United States (US). In 2017, 84.5 million passengers passed through LAX. LAX offers 740 daily departures to 60 US Cities, and 1,400 weekly departures to 86 international Cities in 44 countries.
Located in the San Fernando Valley, VNY ranks as one of the world’s busiest general aviation airports. Dedicated to noncommercial air travel, VNY averages over 230,000 takeoffs and landings annually.
Located near the City of Palmdale in the Antelope Valley, PMD is approximately 67 miles from Downtown Los Angeles. LAWA owns 17,750 acres that have agricultural and other uses.
LAX is undergoing one of the greatest airport transformations in the country and is embarking upon a major capital improvement program, which will improve the traveling experience and enhance access to the airport. Projects include a new satellite international concourse, runway and airfield improvements, terminal renovations, construction of a new automated people mover system, and a consolidated car rental facility.
LAWA is actively seeking experienced and innovative individuals to effectively lead and manage technical staff in the Land Use, Planning and Entitlements Division to realize LAWA’s vision of “Gold Standard Airports- Delivered.”
The Senior Airport Planner supervises and performs duties that require higher level technical expertise in the field of airport/aviation planning, environmental planning and design. An employee in this class manages complex environmental planning projects including the entitlement and clearance processes; works closely with other departments to environmentally clear new projects both on and off the airport campus; develops and reports on mitigation and monitoring plans for projects; collects data and develops documents required to satisfy the requirements of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and helps develop strategy, guidelines and analysis for future projects.
Duties include organizing, supervising, reviewing, and coordinating comprehensive long-range planning and current planning projects, budget and administration, as well as interacting with a variety of public and private entities, such as the City Council, Council Committees, the Board of Airport Commission, Airport Land Use Commission, LAX Area Advisory Committee (LAX AAC) and VNY Citizens Advisory Council (VNY CAC). This position will work closely with major stakeholders including the FAA, community groups, internal LAWA departments and others.
This position develops Requests for Proposals and participates in contractor/consultant selection, develops cooperative agreements, memorandums of understanding or other agreements, represents staff at meetings to facilitate and implement planning projects, coordinates and disseminates information to various departments, agencies, organizations and the public as well as other duties.
The Senior Airport Planner reports directly to the section head, Chief of Airport Planner, and may also be called upon to act on behalf of the division head.
LAWA seeks a talented, energetic, and a committed individual who will work collaboratively in a results-oriented organization to serve as a Senior Airport Planner.
- Have the skills necessary to inspire teamwork and adapt to rapidly changing environments and issues
- Demonstrate strong leadership abilities and interpersonal skills
- Possess a passion for and commitment to the airport planning profession
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Have excellent problem-solving skills, coupled with analytical skills to compile and analyze complex data
- Have strong planning and conceptual skills
- Be highly collaborative and have an open and adaptive management style
- Demonstrate and motivate staff to provide high levels of customer service to stakeholders (internal and external)
- Understanding of applicable laws, rules and regulations governing airport planning policies, environmental planning and/or city/state/federal planning policies
- Be able to make presentations before the public, government bodies, and other agencies
- Two years of full-time paid professional experience as an Airport Planner with the City of Los Angeles; or
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a major in Aviation Management, Airport Planning, Urban Planning, or related field; and
- Six years’ progressively responsible experience in planning, airport planning, environmental planning, project management, urban planning, or other related field.
License: A valid California Driver’s license is required.
The salary range for Senior Airport Planner is $113,149 to $165,411 annually, depending on qualifications and depth of experience.
To Be Considered
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume by December 31, 2018 to:
Veronica Rivera 424-646-7856
To learn more about LAWA visit us online at www.lawa.org.
Please note that this is an Emergency Appointment-The Rules of the Board of Civil Service Commissioners define an emergency appointment as a temporary assignment to a position made in accordance with City Charter Section 1013 (a) and (b). The appointment is authorized until a civil service eligible list is established for that particular job classification, but for no longer than one year. The appointment must be terminated when a regular appointment can be made from the eligible list to a permanent position of half time or more.
To apply for this job email your details to EnvironmentalProgramsHiring@lawa.org