Website HOUSTON AIRPORT SYSTEM
Security, Operations, Aviation
APPLICATION ACCEPTED FROM: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Division/Section: * Varied, Bush Intercontinental (IAH) / William P. Hobby (HOU) – Landside Operations
Workdays & Hours: * Varied (Shift work, to include rotating shifts, weekends and holidays) subject to change*
The purpose of the Houston Airport Systems, Landside Operations Division is to maintain a safe, and secure environment for the traveling passengers and motor vehicles. The Landside team; under general supervision, performs work involving the oversight of the commercial vehicle operations and traffic control in all terminal(s) and roadways pertaining to either Bush Intercontinental (IAH) or William P. Hobby Airport (HOU). The Landside Agent conducts commercial vehicle inspections, regulatory investigations, and manages taxi operations and traffic flow. This role ensures safety, security regulations and policy compliance of all federal, state, local rule and regulations are being met. May conduct inspections of the airport’s terminal areas, perimeter, and tenant facilities to ensure safe and compliant operations. The Landside Agent will be expected to interface with airport customers using the core values of the organization (Integrity, Courtesy and Respect) as well as execute a “can do” attitude, by responding quickly to customer and ground transportation regulation challenges. Must be willing to stand on hard surfaces, walk for extended periods of time and multi-task. Must also be willing to work any shift to include a rotating shift, nights, weekends and holidays and is expected to participate in emergency preparedness events and activities. Must be able to pass a criminal background check, obtain and maintain federally mandated security clearances where required.
Essential job duties and responsibilities for the (Landside Agent) duties include but are not limited to:
- Facilitates commercial vehicle (i.e… Limousines, shuttles, taxis and Transportation Network Company “TNC” vehicles), processing permit sales and compliance by conducting inspections in accordance with applicable regulations and policies.
- Performs terminal area duties including but not limited to obtaining a taxi for passengers, using taxi dispatch system to log out taxicabs on assigned trips, and maintaining taxicab availability.
- Oversees curb zones for safe and efficient traffic flow of both pedestrians and vehicles. Enforces tow and parking regulations by notifying primary agent and/or supervisor of potential citation.
- Monitors passenger access to airport terminals. Assists with traffic accidents and disabled vehicles by notifying emergency personnel and maintenance teams as needed.
- Responds to calls for assistance by customers and the Airport Operations Center (ACO) in a timely manner. Addresses and deescalates situations as appropriate and takes necessary corrective actions to remedy issues that arise.
- May conduct inspections of all landside facilities, roads, and terminals. Monitor security access points, challenge airport badges, conduct periodic and random inspections, in partnership with all stakeholders, tenants, contractors and other government agency representatives. Notifies supervisor of any unsafe conditions, violations and discrepancies.
- Complete daily reports/logs of all activities (i.e… ticket and permit sales, taxi/vehicle activity, etc.) conducted during a shift.
- Contributes to the team by performing other duties as assigned.
This position requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time on a hard-surfaced floor and is expected to have the ability to walk for extended periods of time. The position occasionally requires stooping or bending. Occasional very light lifting, such as three or four reams of papers or books (up to 20 pounds or an equivalent weight) may be required. There are routine discomforts from exposure to moderate heat, cold, moisture/wetness and unpleasant air conditions. The position may involve routine exposure to soiled materials and light chemical substances such as cleaning solutions. Requires the ability to make coordinated gross motor movements in response to changing external stimuli within moderately demanding tolerances; or the ability to make coordinated movements on a patterned response space within low tolerance demands with no real speed requirements
Requires an Associate Degree in Aviation Management, Airway Science, Criminal Justice, Law Enforcement, Business Administration, Public Administration or a related field.
Six (6) months of experience in airport operations, airport security, airport safety and/or any other customer service related field is required. Directly related professional experience in airport operations may substitute for the above education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
A valid Texas Driver’s License and compliance with the City of Houston’s policy on driving (AP 2-2).
Preference will be given to applicants with customer service experience. Experience conducting commercial vehicle operations and traffic control for a large facility is a plus. A valid drivers license a plus. Candidates with the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing when using bilingual or multilingual skills to communication with customers a plus. Microsoft Office Suite and good report writing skills preferred.
***Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.***
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRE
The selection process will involve application review and/or interview. Department may administer skills assessment test.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION – YES
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Pay Grade – 13
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate’s qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov.
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call 281-233-1043.
If you need special services or accommodations, call 281-233-1043. (TTY 7-1-1). If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
Applicants are encouraged to attach a cover letter and resume along with their completed application when applying. For further information pertaining to the Houston Airport System, please visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDWLV_sJFoM.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
To apply for this job please visit www.youtube.com.