Website CITY OF HOUSTON AIRPORT SYSTEM
Airport, Construction, Survey, Building Standards
APPLICATION ACCEPTED FROM: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Division/Section: INFRASTRUCTURE / CONSTRUCTION
Workdays & Hours: Varied (Shift work, including rotation, weekends and holidays) subject to change.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The purpose of the Houston Airport System Construction and Permitting group is to oversee “in-house” code review and inspection programs created specifically to provide code plan review and inspection support for construction taking place at all three locations of the Houston Airport System (HAS). The purpose of this role is to supervise and direct technical topographic boundary, construction surveys and, construction projects. The Party Chief is supervised by the Houston Airport System’s City Engineer. The role supports the business activities of the various business units within the Houston Airport System (HAS) to include property boundary locations, obstruction surveys, construction grading verifications and, quality surveys. The selected candidate is expected to work in the elements such as heat, noise and, dust. Will walk for extended period of times, climb stairs, ladders, and is expected to mitigate any tense work-related situation. “Must be able to pass a criminal background check, obtain and maintain federally mandated security clearance.”
Essential job duties and responsibilities for the (PARTY CHIEF) duties include but are not limited to:
- Supervises a survey crew engaged in the performance of topographic, boundary and/or construction field surveys.
- Establishes work assignments, assists other members of survey crew in completing survey assignments, trains new employees and ensures crew safety.
- Compiles field notes, sketches and records data obtained according to accepted engineering/surveying standards.
- Lays out construction projects involving streets, water and sewer lines, paving sewer treatment plants; marks reference points; reports progress to contractors.
- Conducts topographic and boundary surveys; makes calculations; sets grades and lays out reference points.
- Estimates and obtains materials and equipment needed for survey assignments.
- Maintains payroll, attendance and vacation records.
- Mathematics and the understanding of survey calculations.
- Transports crew to and from survey sites.
The position routinely requires lifting of moderately heavy items, such as boxes (up to 40 pounds) and/or very long periods of walking on rough surfaces on a routine basis. There are routine exposures to significant levels of heat, cold, moisture and air pollution. The position may involve periodic exposure to chemical substances and physical trauma of a minor nature such as cuts, bruises and minor burns. Requires the ability to make closely coordinated eye/hand movements within very fine tolerance and/or calibration demands; or the ability to make rapid closely coordinated eye/hand movements on a patterned response space within somewhat fine tolerance demands; or the ability to make coordinated eye/hand movements within fine tolerances with large equipment as an extension of the worker.
Specialized training in principles, procedures, practices, routines or techniques in a specific area or trade which might normally be acquired through up to 18 months of education or training beyond the high school level.
Four years of experience in surveying are required.
Preference will be given to applicants with an Advanced Applied Science degree in Mathematics, Building Construction Trades, or Surveying. Heavy surveying experience a plus. A strong background in mathematical calculations First line supervisory skills preferred. Use and configuration of “Trimble” surveying equipment. A valid driver license a plus. First line supervisory skills preferred.
***Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.***
To apply for this job please visit agency.governmentjobs.com.