Website Charlotte Douglas International Airport
This position serves as manager of the Planning Section for the Development Division of Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT). Assists the Planning and Environmental Manager, Planning Director, and Chief Operating Officer with strategic and general management of the Planning Section with specific emphasis on policy planning, project management, and capital and facilities planning. Coordinates and directs multiple, simultaneous aviation projects, programs and planning activities. Exercises a high level of technical, interpersonal and communication skills, while expected to exercise considerable independent judgment with minimal guidance. Executes multi-disciplinary project initiatives, management and implementation strategies to achieve objectives relative to the Airport Master Plan.
- Develops planning programs and initiatives specific to the Airport (i.e. Capital Improvement Program).
- Oversees preparation of airport access/landside and master plans, airport layout CAD drawings and exhibits, the Airport Layout Plan, and alternative analyses.
- Assists the Planning and Environmental Manager and Planning Director in preparing budgets, performance evaluations, administrative reports, project schedules, and other general management tasks.
- Serves as a liaison with other City departments on projects that include airport participation, and works with other CLT staff to prepare plans, reports, specifications related to integrating transportation, land use and economic development planning.
- Manages or participates in comprehensive and strategic aviation planning activities, including airside, landside, economic development, and Part 150 programs.
- Represents CLT at meetings for implementing capital projects in cooperation with Federal, State, and Local agencies.
- Researches and prepares reports, proposals, and plans on complex land use, planning and development issues.
- Meets with officials of public and private agencies, community groups, and individuals to explain aviation development related issues.
- Monitors and ensures availability of resources for planning projects.
- Provides direction to staff assigned to work on supervised projects; plan, organize and monitor work assigned to subordinates in order to accomplish departmental objectives; appropriately supervise, evaluate, coach, and develop employees.
- Provides direction to ensure that CLT planning projects meet specified criteria for quality and consistency.
- Prepares presentations of plans and programs for review and approval and to inform stakeholders (e.g., community groups, consultants, Federal Aviation Administration).
- Oversee the application and acceptance of federal, state, and local grants for leveraging airfield and other airport capital needs.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree plus five years of experience, or Master’s degree plus three years of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant work/industry/military/job specific experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties. Experience in the field of planning, including project management, required. Major coursework in airport management, airport planning, planning, public administration, engineering, or related field. Supervisory experience preferred. A.A.A.E. Certified Member, or ability to acquire within one year of hire. AICP, AAE, ACE certifications preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the theories, methods and procedures involved in airport planning, including knowledge of FAA Advisory Circulars, planning requirements and design standards, including land development principles and practices.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of airport or local government administration and comprehensive planning, including knowledge of the principles and practices of public capital improvement programs, budgeting, facilities, regional strategic economic development and transportation planning.
- Ability to integrate land use, urban design and multi-modal transportation perspectives in review, coordination and development of public improvement projects.
- Ability to manage dynamic large projects with specific deadlines both independently and in a team setting.
- Skill in reading and reviewing blueprints and plans using architectural and engineering scales.
- Knowledge of state and federal guidelines of grant administration.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local environmental land use laws and ordinances applicable to airports.
- Knowledge of project management techniques and ability to manage and participate in a number of projects simultaneously.
- Considerable knowledge of research methods and the application of them to planning problems.
- Orientation toward teamwork and the ability to lead and coordinate the work of a project planning team.
- Ability to prepare complex planning and data analyses and comprehensive reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective public relations and working relationships. Excellent public speaking and professional writing skills.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and self-motivation in a rapidly changing work environment.
- Ability to convert broad program issues to a work program level. Ability to maintain a customer service orientation in all circumstances.
To apply for this job please visit www.jobapscloud.com.