Charlotte Douglas International Airport
This position manages the personnel and programs to comply with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and other federal, state, and city regulations required to operate Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT), ensuring compliance with 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 139 and serving as the primary contact for the regional FAA Airport Certification Safety Inspector . He/she manages and directs the work of the 24/7/365 Airside Operations Section consisting of 57 aviation employees, 200 contract employees and manages an annual operating budget of $5 million. He/she occupies a significant role in the organization ensuring the safety of persons and property at the Airport. Under emergency conditions the individual will react quickly, and calmly to protect persons, property, and ensure compliance. Requires effective skills to lead and motivate a diverse staff, exercises considerable independent judgement and initiative, and maintains effective working relationships with stakeholders and the public. This position is expected to answer phone calls and other communications outside of regular office hours unless on leave with a designated relief assigned and is subject to emergency call backs for work 24/7/365.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Manages the personnel and programs to comply with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Transportation Security Administration (TSA) regulations required to operate a commercial airport. Ensures that all Airside Operations Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) meet the requirements of the FAR Part 139. Update and maintain compliance with the FAA-approved Airport Operating Certificate, Airport Certification Manual, Airport Emergency Plan, Wildlife Hazard Management Plan, Movement Area Drivers Training Program and other working documents. Manages the FAA-approved self-inspection program for the airfield and oversees the FAA annual certification requirements and deliverables. Serves as primary point of contact for the regional Airport Certification Safety Inspector. Manages all records, reports, and logs, as required.
2. Supervises and directs the work of the entire Airside Operations department including day to day shift staff, Wildlife team, Airside Operations construction team and Airside Operations training team. Oversees the professional development of staff to support their overall engagement, development, and goal achievement. Ensure all personnel have proper training and tools to efficiently and effectively perform their duties. Deliver and review employee performance reviews by established dates. Formulate comprehensive and concise instructions/procedures in both oral and written form. Create and update policies and procedures and make recommendations for improvements in safety and efficiency. Oversee enforcement of airport rules and regulations that govern the operation of the airfield and the airport tenants.
3. Responds to and participates in airport emergencies and irregular operations, establishes priorities, and makes timely decisions under stressful conditions to emergencies and incidents of various size, scope, and scale. Serves as the primary airport point of contact for after-hours emergencies and irregular operations. Takes charge until relieved by a higher authority. Coordinates and assists the Airside Operations response efforts in emergency and irregular operations. Serves as Section Chief in the Airport Emergency Operations Center (AEOC) or Branch Manager for incident command. Ensures that response is in compliance with Airport Emergency Plan (AEP) and standard operating procedures and follows the National Incident Command Systems (NIMS) protocols. Reacts quickly, calmly, and exercises independent judgement and initiative to protect persons, property, and ensures compliance. Conducts and participates in required emergency response training and exercises related to airport operations, emergencies, and security.
4. Coordinates with airport tenants and stakeholders for impacts to operations. Supports and actively participates with internal and external work groups and other Airport divisions to develop plans of action and response to various issues including but not limited to, security, dispatch, access control, construction, airside capacity and response, and rule enforcement. Assess current and prospective airfield-related equipment, technology, and procedures to improve the Airport’s overall airfield safety and implement changes where necessary.
5. Oversees the safety coordination of airfield projects, airfield snow removal activities, and aircraft deicing program. Ensures compliance with Snow and Ice Control Plan and Airport Deicing Plan. Participates in any Safety Management System (SMS) and Safety Risk Management Workshops for airfield construction projects.
6. Oversees the service contract for all commercial service aircraft deicing, Wildlife Hazard Management, K9 facility and ARFF training center. Works with the contractor and airlines to develop the budget, manages the deicing program, and ensures the end of season true-up is completed in a timely manner. Development RFP and PPR processes for contracts, purchase orders and other financial documents.
7. Collaborate with Planning, Engineering, and Facilities to ensure the continuity of airport operations and federal compliance. Participates in planning activities, development, design review, construction, and ensure transition from construction to operation and maintenance. Ensures all Planning, Engineering, and Facilities activities are in compliance with FAR Part 139, identify hazards, and implement mitigation strategies. Review all construction safety phasing plans and participate in the Construction Logistics Impact review panel. Coordinate with Facilities for work orders, system and facility maintenance, and complete inspections of work to ensure compliance.
8. Develops and manages section budget, resource requirements, and purchasing.
9. Assists the Assistant Airport Operations Director with administrative responsibilities.
10. Leverages contract service providers to support operational goals, maintain desired service levels, and takes action, when needed.
11. Assist other Airport Operations sections to ensure continuity of operations.
12. Other duties, as assigned.
• Primarily works standard office hours Monday through Friday. Work required at other times for supervision, training, special events, irregular operations, inclement weather and emergencies. Subject to emergency call backs for work.
• This position is deemed essential.
• Some job functions may be done through telework, however primary job functions require in-person/on-site work.
• Valid driver license in state of residence and ability to obtain and maintain a City driving permit.
• Must successfully pass and maintain an active Security Threat Assessment (STA) and Criminal History Records Check (CHRC). Certain convictions will disqualify individuals from unescorted access privileges and therefore exclude from employment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Thorough knowledge of FARs Part 139, 77 and associated Advisory Circulars, Aviation departmental rules and regulations and standard operating procedures. Knowledge of other applicable federal regulations including FAR Part 121, TSR Part 1542, and NIMS/ICS.
• Considerable knowledge of airport operations, FAA standards, hazards, and safety precautions.
• Skills to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Skills to efficiently manage multiple priorities and tasks.
• Skills to effectively lead and motivate a diverse staff.
• Skills to develop creative new programs and activities.
• Effective organizational skills.
• Ability to prepare and effectively maintain budgets and budgetary controls.
• Ability to actively pursue and develop new ideas, methods and procedures to meet changing situations.
• Ability to make comprehensive recommendations to resolve operational problems.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with airline management, federal partners, co-workers and the public, and represent the airport in a positive and professional manner.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Ability to respond calmly and effectively in emergencies, and effectively manage sensitive and tense situations.
• Ability to demonstrate initiative, creativity and innovative thinking in a rapidly changing work environment.
High school graduation or equivalent and nine years relevant work experience
Associate’s Degree and seven years relevant work experience
Bachelor’s level degree and five years relevant work experience
Master’s level degree and three years relevant work experience
To apply for this job please visit www.jobapscloud.com.